Ardmore Oklahoma History
Since opening as a bar in 1975, Eskimo Joe's has been an iconic place and a brand for Oklahoma Homans. Oklahoma became a state in 1907, and after the discovery in 1913, entrepreneurs and wildcats flooded the area. Carter County quickly became Oklahoma's largest oil-producing area and remains so today. In fact, the county is the second largest pecan-using county in the United States, home to more pecans per capita than any other county in Oklahoma. There are more than 1,000 acres of land within the county's borders and in fact it is one of the top 10 Peka - producing counties in America.
This exhibition tells the story of Carter County and tells the stories of farmers, ranchers and townspeople who built a strong community in the region. This exhibition details the history of Carter County and the strong communities they have built in the region, as told by the farms, ranches, townships, schools, churches, hospitals, libraries, restaurants, hotels, and more. This exhibition tells the story of the CarterCounty district, tells the story of this district, agriculture, livestock, townhouses, colleges, universities and other colleges.
The fourth panel shows the Chickasaw as they worked to establish themselves in what is now southern Oklahoma.
The second panel shows the Chickasaw Homeland, which is scattered over what later became a forest, mountains and prairie. The third panel shows what became known as Adam's and Jimmy's Prairie, a small village in the middle of the prairie in southern Oklahoma.
In the early 1890s Ardmore was the largest city in the Indian territory with several thousand inhabitants, and by 1890 it flourished to 20 to five hundred inhabitants. By 1895, more than ten thousand bales of cotton were marketed there, and more people settled. Two new railroad lines came east of Rock, from Frisco Island, to Ard faster than ever in Oklahoma history. Located just a few miles south of the Oklahoma-Texas border, it grew rapidly and experienced a heyday in 1890 with over twenty-three thousand inhabitants. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, it became known for its cotton fields, which eventually became known as the largest inland port for cotton and as an important port of entry into the United States.
In 1998, BNSF, the successor to Santa Fe, sold the Ardmore depot for $1 and sold the land for another $20,000.
Carter County, located in the south and center of Oklahoma, was founded in 1907 and named after its first county town, Carter, Texas. The county was founded in 1887, after the formation of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, and received a national charter. When the Indian Territory and Oklahoma Territory joined the new 46th State of Oklahoma, it became the county seat of the new Carter County. It was named after its founder George Carter Carter (1812 - 1884).
It was founded in 1887 when the Roff Brothers' Seven Hundred Ranch was created and served as the county seat of Carter County. Named after Edmund Pickens, a prominent Chickasaw, the 700 Ranch is located in Pickens County and the Chick asaw Indian Nation. Large land course of 1889, which did not colonize Ardmore, but opened in the early 20th century after the Santa Fe Railroad passed through.
Ardmore became the county seat of Carter County and the city became a regional commercial center. Ardmore began to grow in earnest after the Santa Fe Railroad came through in the 1880s and gained increasing influence over Oklahoma affairs. Statehood came in 1907, but the situation was resolved when it was incorporated as a city in 1908.
The inhabitants were rebuilt after a fire in 1895 and by the early 20th century Ardmore had become an important stop on the Santa Fe Railway, where wagons queued up to wait at the Cotton Exchange, the city's main trading centre.
The development of downtown Ardmore owes much to the construction of the Santa Fe Railroad, the first of its kind in the United States, completed in 1887. The railroad was introduced and expanded as oil production increased, and there was a strong connection between the city and the nearby oil fields of Oklahoma and Texas. It served as the terminus for the Santa Fe depot, built in 1916, directly on the Main, and as an important stop on the Oklahoma - Texas - Kansas route.
The train is no longer serviced, but a few blocks north is Santa Fe Station, the first of its kind in the US and one of the oldest in Oklahoma.
Local resident Katie Nix Midkiff said: 'The location is fantastic, it's so close to Oklahoma City and Oklahoma State University. Interstate 35 runs through the west side of Ardmore and Oklahoma City is located 156 miles north, while Fort Worth, Texas, is located 166 miles south. The Louisiana Territory north of the 33rd parallel was designated as a district of Louisiana and placed under the administration of the Indiana Territory.